Friday, October 8, 2010

The Yaksha Prashna: Version 2.0

It has been going on in my mind for sometime now. I have mentioned it to some, I have not mentioned it to many. It has been suffocating and illuminating my mind at the same time. You know the feeling somewhat close to a headache? The one induced by serious contemplation? The one which you get when you try and think about the origin of universe? No I don’t mean read about the origin of universe, I mean think about the origin of the universe, origin of the consciousness. I won’t comment about others, but I have strong suspicion that my brain is designed not to be able to think about it. I remember going into that thought for like two hours straight, without any other thought claiming an iota of my mind, and then comes Mr. Headache. It aches as if the god damned Big Bang is happening in my ever so reverberate head. If God exists, I’ll kill him for that.

If you are not getting what I am saying, then it is like five times the effect, a bottle of vodka lodged in your head leaves you with. Ok so well now you know the pain, so let’s come back to what has been lingering in my mind for a long long time now. It is another question which is not as humongous as the origin of consciousness, but is as narrow as a dagger-thrust-in-tender-most-part-of-my-brain, in its scope. It is about the being of a man. Being a man has two aspects to it. We all have known that Homo Sapiens is a social animal, and he formed societies and all the greatness we quote from the past, is about how great men were great men because they contributed to the society in one way or other. At the same time, Homo Sapiens sapiens. He has his being as a wise man. I don’t know what wise man would mean to you, but to me in its purest form, it must have been all about discovering knowledge, reflecting on it, questioning it, rejecting it, adding to it, and not allowing self to accept any thought without letting it pass through this process.

If you observe, the former has been dominating the world thought for millions of years and getting re-enforced by every great civilization coming into being, and it has made it almost impossible for the latter to exist. What all can I reflect on, what all can I question, what all can I reject, what I can add to, and what all should I not allow myself to accept without letting it pass through the process? Is the battle already lost? It is like the mythical gift of free will, which exists and not. We can blame the myths / god / scriptures for the failing of free will, but who is to blame for failing the other aspect of our being? Are we meant to be like this, or is it our collective failing across ages, or it is the wrong question at the first place?

No comments: